Thursday, February 5, 2009

This place crawls...

Brief reaction to the much talked about Resident Evil 5 demo on 360:

I loved LOVED RE4 but more for the totality of the experience and since it was unlike anything on consoles at the time and a complete reboot of the Resident Evil franchise. Playing it again on PS2 a short time after playing the GC original, the awkward controls certainly dimmed my nostalgia a bit.

RE5 is pretty hampered if not crippled by its controls. In the wake of Dead Space and even Gears of War, the controls feel antiquated and exclusionary. Though I appreciate the intensity of the experience, Dead Space showed that you can have a perfectly fluid, intuitive interface and maintain intensity. Switching to a more shooter centric control scheme would rob the game of nothing.
I’ll still play the full version, since I’m still a fan of the series, but my enthusiasm is dimmed.

Looks fuckin awesome though

1 comment:

Naveen Nattam said...

Wait a minute...this is your comment on another blog....you lazy mother..